How Big is the Social Purpose Market?
The Social Purpose Sector collectively represents the Third Sector of the economy.
United States Social Purpose Sector Market1
- 1,521,052 tax-exempt organizations
- 11% of all wages and salaries paid in the United States.
- 5.5% of GDP
- $1.65 trillion in total revenues and $1.57 trillion in total expenses.
- $3 trillion in total assets
- $316 billion charitable contributions
- Individuals gave $228 billion
- Foundations gave $51 billion
Canadian Social Purpose Sector Market2
- 170,000 charitable and nonprofit organizations in Canada.
- 85,000 of these are registered charities (recognized by the Canada Revenue Agency).
- 11% of total Canadian GDP, more than the retail trade industry and close to the value of the mining, oil and gas extraction industry
- 2,000,000 Canadians are employed in the charitable and nonprofit sector
- 13,000,000+ people volunteer for charities and non-profits
- National Center for Charitable Statistics
- Imagine Canada
This Sector as a combined economy would equal the fifth largest economy in the world.